Through a practical blueprint for decision-makers in charge of identity policy decisions, Better Identity Coalition – an organization focused on developing and advancing consensus-driven, cross-sector policy solutions that promote the development and adoption of better solutions for online identity verification and authentication – outlines why and how systems in the United States for verifying and protecting identities online need to be modernized.
It also explains the coalitions efforts for advancing cybersecurity in the American market, bringing businesses and people to the fore.
Through examples of what Americans can expect and look forward to in the future if recommendations are taken on board, Better Identity Coalition envisions a different way forward for the American cybersecurity industry and consumers.
Coalition members outline five “common-sense initiatives” that policy makers can take on board immediately to ensure Better Identity:
- Prioritize the development of next-generation remote identity proofing and verification systems
- Change the way America uses the Social Security Number (SSN)
- Promote and prioritize the use of strong authentication
- Pursue international coordination and harmonization
- Educate consumers and businesses about better identity
Full recommendations for these initiatives are available in the report.